Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

In Memory
Palma A. Pascale
1950 ~ 2009
"One Year Later"
Dedicated to "Cousin" Lil Greiner

Palma Pascale


My cell phone was on my nightstand where it had been every night for the previous few nights.  It rang right at 5:30 am. the morning of September 8, 2009.  I was certain I knew who was calling at that hour, and why.  I so hoped I was wrong, but I was sure it was Frank Rendo...and it was.  And the news he delivered was that our Palma had passed away about 1/2 hour prior.  Frank told me he was holding Palma's hand when she died.  I immediately got a visual of that, and it has remained with me ever since.  

We didn't need to talk further, and anyway, neither of us could.

That was a day I will not soon forget.  I was expecting this call from Frank - knew it was coming - but it didn't make hearing the news any easier or any less painful.  It sort of takes your breath away, news like this, as prepared for it as you might be.

I knew I had a task to perform that day, and I could not put it off.  There were people depending on me, just as I so depended on Frank, to deliver this news.

The community at  what was first known as "Carpenters Online," one of the largest fansites on the Internet all about any and everything "Carpenters" had been depending on me for news, good or bad, regarding Palma's condition, and I tried to keep them updated as much as possible.  See, the website had a forum attached to it, which remains active even today, at what is now known as "Karen and Richard Carpenter Avenue."  The former website and the forum are both run by Rick Henry of Southern California.  It was Rick who tracked Palma down in order to interview her for the website, in 2005.  That interview is reprinted in full within this blog, thanks to permission of Rick Henry.

Palma Pascale
In the vocal isolation booth
Tiki Recording Studios
The forum members loved Palma, each in their own way.  Palma was eager to embrace this community of followers and she did what no other celebrity had done, she told her story of how she happened to connect with and subsequently write for the biggest pop duo of the 1970's - the Carpenters.  Palma lovingly included as many details as was possible.  Plus, Palma remained a rather active member of the forum, answering questions and enjoying new cyber friendships.  The members fell in love with the little lady composer from New York.

I recall one forum member who Palm conversed with often found themselves on Long Island, close to Palma's home shortly after her cancer diagnosis, which she shared with each of us, as well, and he contacted me to see if I thought it would okay to call Palma and say hello.  Ha - anyones guess, but I assured him that she would kindly let him know if the time WASN'T right.  Dave did call her, and they spoke for over an hour.  I was later told by both parties how nice of a conversation it was, and how much each of them enjoyed the other.

Some of the detail Palm shared with us included the introduction of a best friend - her cousin, Lil (Greiner) who quickly became known as  "Cousin Lil" to us.  I am dedicating this blog to Cousin Lil, in fact.  I know that she misses Palma terribly, and Palm told me time and again that she and "Cousin Lil" were very close....more like sisters than cousins, and certainly very close friends.


It was "Cousin Lil" who first bought the LP "HORIZON", and called Palm to tell her she'd purchased it, and it had Palm's song on it.  Palm rushed to her home, and ending up at one of Lil's neighbor's home, they listened together the first time Palma ever heard her song as recorded by Karen and Richard Carpenter.  Then, Palma tells the story she left in a hurry, and TOOK THE LP WITH HER!  Poor "Cousin Lil" never did get her LP back, as I understood it.  Oh, that Palma!  Oofah!

It was "Cousin Lil" who did the graphic design of three of Palma's CD's - THE BROKEN CUP, I'LL LEAVE YOU THE MUSIC, and THIS MUST BE HEAVEN.  Each of these designs are beautifully done and executed.  Lil, thank you for letting us share a bit of the musical Palma with you, and all the Pascale family.

So, because of Rick Henry's inclusion of Palma's four-part interview, I ordered THE BROKEN CUP and the rest, as they say, is history - all well documented within the 45 posts that comprise this blog I write for Palma.

My task this day, then, was to do as I had been doing for close to two years:  I needed to write a post which would inform these friends that Palma had died.  I needed to try and help them understand while I, myself, was filled with questions.  Palm always loved it that I "got it" so often where she and her music and lyrics were concerned....but not this time.  I don't get why it had to be her, at all.  It didn't make any sense to me - still doesn't.

Nevertheless, I did notify these forum members - some personally, and others as a group via the forum.  Some of the replies to that posting were incredibly touching and poignant.  It wasn't just difficult for me to digest this - everyone seemed to have a bit of difficulty comprehending Palma's death.  It just didn't seem right. 

That afternoon, I got a call from Fred Guarino.  Not certain whether or not I'd been informed, he wanted to be sure I knew about Palma, and as difficult as that call was to make, he did so...and I was so glad to have the opportunity to just touch base with him.  Frank, Fred and I had been keeping this "vigil" together - these two men were so kind to me, keeping me as "in the loop" as anyone could be.  Fred and Palm worked very closely together for more than 25 years.  Palm was a familiar face around Tiki Recording Studios - not only because she recorded her own material there, but because of all the others that had Palma work on their recordings, as well.  So this was the end of a fantastic professional working relationship for Fred, as well as a tragic personal loss, as the two of them were close friends, too.  I know it was a tough thing for Fred to make that call, and I'll never forget that he did it.  I appreciate you a lot, Fred.  Thank you.

Palma Pascale & Fred Guarino
There was a lot to think about that I took care of for Palm, and things I needed to do - there was the website - Palma's Shoutlife Page  and MySpace page - Facebook pages would need attention, too.  My blog (this one) would need to be updated and at some point in a discussion with Frank Rendo, I decided to write an article for the newspaper Newsday, regarding Palma. I kept looking for an obituary as the days went past, and nothing ever appeared.  So the article I'd written could be used as an obit, yet Newsday never responded to requests by me, or from Frank.

Palma Pascale & Herb Magtoto
Palma, Frank and Fred met a man who is now a mutual friend, Mr. Herb Magtoto,  at a meet and greet for Martin Nievera in New York shortly after I had finally tracked Martin down, because Palm wanted to meet this man who recorded a live YouTube Video (beautifully, I might add) of LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM, and who had recorded the song on two of his catalogue of CD's.  Herb was at that Meet and Greet, and through Palma and later Martin, I was introduced to him, as well.  After the Meet and Greet, Palma, Frank and Jackie Carey, another of Palm's close friends and one of her selfless caregivers, went to the concert Martin was doing in Atlantic city.  The trio was invited then to the after party where everyone had a really grand time.  Martin was generous to a fault, and very giving, and when he introduced Palma from the stage that day, it thrilled Palma very much.  (As Martin introduced Palm, she stood and blew kisses to her adoring fans).  It was a day for the record books.  

Palma Pascale & Martin Nievera
I tell that story because it was Mr. Magtoto who not only agreed to publish my story in The Chronical, his own Philippine Newspaper - he also contacted several other publishers and the story went out in both The Filipino Express, and Planet Philippines.  Both of these articles reside on the wall in my music studio.  We were (are) so grateful to Herb for helping us spread a positive word about this amazing composer and friend.

The next few days were miserable for me.  I would have loved to have gone to Long Island for all of the services, stories, shared tears and laughter surrounding Palma, and to share this time of deep grief with my friends, there but, alas - it was not meant to be.  The miserable part for me was not only not being able to be there, but not knowing what was happening.  

Tim San Paolo & Palma Pascale
I'll have to say, though, that after each event, I was either called or e-mailed with as thorough of a description of the events that had happened, music that was played, who was there , etc. by not only Frank, who had been a gem to keep me informed over the prior year of Palma's condition - and Fred, who was also instrumental in keeping me briefed; but also from other friends I'd met while there - Diana Pettit and Dominick Avento III both wrote to advise me of their take on the events.  I really appreciated each of them so much for doing that.

And then, reality began to set in a bit more and a bit more as the days passed.  The news got less from Long Island - the calls and e-mails got less frequent, and the reality that I would no longer hear from my Long Island composer friend - and the fact that there would be no more music coming was becoming as real AND as painful as it gets.  Palm had kept me in a steady supply of her recorded compositions - she would time it so that every few months I would get a new treat from her in the mail - first one pop CD, then another (and as an aside - I received the very first I'LL LEAVE YOU THE MUSIC CD after the pop collection was broken down from a two-volume CD to two separate CD's - how bout that?) and then I got the musicals, and on it went like that.  So much fun, and so much to listen to and decipher.  

It was September when Fred had the idea of me doing some arrangements for the songs Palm hadn't had enough time to complete for THIS MUST BE HEAVEN.  And, it was in October, then, when I flew to Long Island to finish my work at Tiki on the CD Fred had been working on so hard to finish for Palma.  That was an important trip in many ways.  Helping to finalize this SPECIAL album, where Palm once again shared stories for us, her listeners that she had lived - that she knew so well - about human nature and living, and....about dying as well.  I was a part of this incredibly important piece of Palma Pascale's legacy, and I am beyond words grateful to Fred Guarino for asking me to be.

Laurie Mangano, Bobbie Ruth, Barry Levy, Patrizia DiLorenzo
Jackie Carey, Al Barbarino, Frank Rendo
During this past year, musicians who had worked closely with Palma in one way or another, as well as some of Palma's friends, executed two tribute concerts in her memory.  The first tribute concert was held on Saturday, November 21st at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Bethpage, NY and featured an interpretive dance performed by Jackie Carey, as well as the following performers, each doing one of Palma's own compositions:  Frank Rendo, Al Barbarino, Laurie Mangano, Bobbie Ruth and Barry Levy, and Patrizia DiLorenzo.  The tribute concert was sold out, standing room only, and there was a substantial waiting list.  This was also the night that Palma's THIS MUST BE HEAVEN CD was officially released.
Patrizia DiLorenzo, Bobbie Ruth, Laurie Mangano
Jackie Carey, Frank Rendo, Al Barbarino

Now, a second "command performance" concert became necessary.  It was difficult to get  calendar dates for all of the same performers on the same night, yet finally the date May 14th seemed to be a "go" for the second tribute to occur, this time to be held at Samantha's Li'l Bit of Heaven, in East Northport.  It was another sold out evening of musical tribute to our Palma.

In January of this year, Palma's very last album was released.  It is called "I WORSHIP YOU" and it is such a rich CD - rich in that it is such a personal read by Palma - just that strong but gentle voice with piano accompaniment, only.  Nothing fancy - but one can hear for themselves how "real" the talent behind the composer was.  These recordings were only intended to be guide tracks for another artist who wanted to do them.  Palm sat and played and sang each of these songs in order to help this other artist understand how the songs should sound.  


The recordings are so pure and so simple - not overdone, I mean - and for guide tracks, they are amazingly beautiful and the true value of the stories comes across so easily - effortlessly, it seems.

Palma had absolutely NO intention of releasing these recordings.  But, after hearing them for the first time, fellow recording artist and good friend Frank Rendo persuaded her to release them as a Worship Album to which Palma agreed, and requested that Frank finish the task after hear death, which he did.

I will be doing a concert in tribute to Palma in October.  It will feature songs from both THE BROKEN CUP and THIS MUST BE HEAVEN.  I'm looking forward to "showing off" her work and of course, to remembering her via her own compositions.

Tim San Paolo
Frank Rendo
Frank Rendo dedicated his September 4, Saturday night at Samantha's concert to Palma as a final, personal tribute to her.  Frank was fortunate enough to record with Palm both on his own 3 CD's they recorded together, as well as on other songs Palm composed and recorded.  They worked well together.  Frank's tribute included songs from his own ~INSPIRED~, REMEMBERING CHRISTMAS, and DELIVER ME, plus Palma's THE BROKEN CUP and THIS MUST BE HEAVEN.

It seems like it's been one thing after another.  Palma left a void in our lives - a chasm so deep it will take a great deal of time to heal, and I doubt it ever will, completely.  Personally not a day has passed that I haven't thought about Palm; her life, and her music.

Now, one major event remains - this one was very, very important to Palma on many levels.  Palm believed in helping others - she was quite an activist and cat rescuer.....she didn't just talk about it, she lived it - and she believed in helping people, too, when she could - when she was able.  Palma "gave back" when it was possible for her to do so.  She wanted to help the ministry of Jesus Alive, who help feed the poor all over Long Island and before she dies, again, she asked Frank Rendo to carry on with the production of this show.  Palma was most instrumental in helping to create this mega event coming up on 10-10-10.  Jesus Alive will present "Did You Talk To Him Today?" which is a musical "playlet" with original music written by Palma.  This gala night will be held at the Patchogue Theatre For The Performing Arts in Patchogue, NY.

As he promised, Frank is supervising the production, with artistic direction and choreography lead by Olando Pena, founder and director of Ovations Dance Academy, Inc., and the Jesus Alive Choir under the baton of Gary Wilson.

Guest artists include:  Maureen Arasmo, Al Barbarino, Dona Cabone, Andy Cooney, Patrizia DiLorenzo, The Glorification Singers, The Jesus Alive Choir, Fr. Charles and Laurie Mangano, Yulanda Jones, Rev. Deborah Mitchell, Rev. Karen Orlando, Paul Paoli, Frank Rendo and Emily Vaeth along with Ovations Dance Repertory Company and the Jesus Alive Dancers.

This event has been years in the planning and on 10-10-10, Palma's vision comes to fruition.  Frank has been diligent in getting this to happen.  I've observed it all, over the past year - it hasn't been an easy task.  Yet, on 10-10-10, it will be realized, and I'm certain it will be to a full house.

You can obtain tickets from the theatre by phone at 1-877-77CLICK - Online at www.PatchogueTheatre.com, or at the box office - 71 East Main Street, Patchogue, NY.

Tim San Paolo & Palma Pascale
So, this brings me to the end of my story, for this time.  I'm sitting here wondering what happens from here?  I have much more music to write about, and I plan to do just that.  I have no clever ending this time around, and I suppose what I'd like to do is just say "thank you" to Palma for being my teacher in many ways, being a mentor to me, and for her ever flowing humor, even during some of her toughest days - and of course, most of all, for her love and friendship.  

I do need to add two important pieces before I go.  The first is my personal condolences to the Pascale family, as Palma's mother Anne, died only months after Palma herself passed.  Anne Pascale died in late April of this year - yet another sad event for this family.
Palma Pascale

And finally, I want to make you aware that plans are in motion to re-do Palma's current website, beginning around the first of next year.  Stop by here, and stop by there often for continued updates - anecdotes, and more information about the music.

We love you, and we miss you terribly, Palma.  You will always be in our hearts.

"...Safe in His arms so peacefully......and here in my heart, I'll keep you with me...."


Photos courtesy of:  Tim San Paolo, Frank Rendo, Lil Greiner, Dominick Avento III, Sue Rosen, Joanna San Paolo, Rick Henry.